Insurance Austria's blog

News and useful information

Car insurance in Austria

Before a person can register a car in Austria he or she must have proof of third party liability coverage for all damage or injury to another person, car or object. While collision or comprehensive insurance is not required by law, most institutions financing the purchase of a vehicle do require it.

There are numerous factors in addition to coverage that influence the insurance price. Beginning drivers pay more than experienced drivers; those driving big, powerful cars pay more than those with more modest vehicles; those living in urban areas pay more than those in rural areas, and those who have been found liable in accidents pay more than those who have not.

If you have a good driving record in your home country, you can get credit for it in Austria. Get a letter from your insurance agent back home and present it to us.

Although there is no requirement for a driver to have anymore than third party liability insurance, others kinds are available and sometimes advisable. There is full comprehensive, covering all damages or injuries done to your own car, another car, a person, or object. There is also partial coverage for fire, theft and other sorts of damage (from break-ins, shattered glass, animals, etc.), and policies covering the death or disability of a passenger. Higher deductibles can make insurance less costly.

Third party liability insurance Required by law to register a car. Covers damages to other people’s health or property
Partial coverage Optional; covers damages to your car like break-ins, shattered glass, damages while parked…
Full coverage Optional; covers all of the above AND damages to your car after accidents
Back to top