HEALTH INSURANCE FOR RESIDENCY APPLICATIONS, VISA ISSUES, AND LONG STAY PERMITS
This section provides information about this new health insurance plan “Care Austria” provided by Care Concept AG.
This insurance plan is tailored to meet the special needs of expats and travelers in Austria. It complies with all requirements by Austrian authorities for application of residency, stay permits, or visa issues. After signing up for this insurance plan you will receive a confirmation which will be accepted by Austrian authorities, i.e. MA35 in Vienna. (Click for details about required insurance cover.)
This insurance plans is designed to meet the needs of expats relocating to Austria. It is also suitable for visiting school students, scholarship holders, doctoral students, college/university students, language school participants as well as participants in exchange programs, language courses, and international projects in institutions of higher education.
The costs are reimbursed according to the currently valid official schedule of fees for doctors and dentists in Austria (scale of fees). Please refer to the GTCI for a complete list of benefits.
This insurance plan reimburses in accordance with the regulations of the Austrian regional health insurance providers and fulfills all official requirements of foreign insurance in Austria.
Students age 12-35: € 51.00 per month
Expats up to age 65: € 95.00 per month
Expats up to age 74: € 219.00 per month
HEALTH INSURANCE COVER
- “all risks” as required by Austrian laws [i.e. by MA 35 in Vienna]
- inpatient treatment in the hospital (shared room; standard care class)
- outpatient treatment by legally recognised and licensed physicians
- patient transport to the hospital for inpatient treatment
- coverage of costs for medically prescribed medications and bandages
- medical aids up to a maximum of EUR 2,500.00
PREGNANCY AND CHILDBIRTH
- Pregnancy examinations and treatments – provided that the pregnancy did not exist at the start of the insurance coverage or when applying for a policy extension
- Delivery (waiting period 8 months)
- medically necessary dental treatment (simple execution), at 100%.
- annual dental check-up & annual teeth cleaning
- medically necessary dental prosthesis (including repairs) at 80% of the reimbursable invoice amount up to a maximum of EUR 750.00 (Attention: it is absolutely necessary to submit the treatment plan and cost estimate, otherwise only 50% will be covered.)
- Accident-related dental prosthesis (including repairs) at 100% of the reimbursable invoice amount up to a maximum of EUR 3,000.00 (Attention: it is absolutely necessary to submit the treatment plan and cost estimate, otherwise only a maximum of EUR 500.00 will be covered.)
REPATRIATION & OTHER COVER
- Additional costs of medically advisable, medically prescribed return transport to the home country
- Transfer costs and funeral costs in the event of death of the insured person up to EUR 25,000.00.
- Follow-up liability up to 4 weeks
- Insurance coverage for vacation stays in the home country
- o up to 14 days (duration up to 4 months incl. all extensions)
- o up to 28 days (duration from 4 months to 364 days incl. all extensions)
The insurance company must be notified in writing before the start of the stay.
The insurance policy should be taken out before entering Austria OR within 31 days of entering Austria. It ends with regard to the health insurance after 364 days at the latest.
- If you entered Austria more than 31 days ago, you can still take out insurance. In this case a general qualifying period (“waiting period”) of 31 days applies merely to the health insurance. There is no qualifying period for accidents, or if you can demonstrate prior cover immediately preceding the new policy
Renewal (follow-on policy): Should your stay last longer than planned you can take out a follow-on policy before expiry of the original policy. The insurer must explicitly approve it, which can be difficult. In total, you can insure yourself for a maximum of 364 days – including all renewals – in the health insurance.
- Our recommendation: Start your insurance plan with a maximum duration of 364 days. You can cancel your insurance contract prematurely should you leave Austria for good or in case you are entitled to public healthcare in Austria. An administration fee of only EUR 5.00 [five] will be charged on every refund of premium paid in excess.